一些国家和地区，比如新加坡、香港需要申请Master （Research oriented）和PhD的同学提供一份Research Proposal，即研究计划。
Paul T. P. Wong提到”Regardless of your research area and the methodology you choose, all research proposals must address the following questions: What you plan to accomplish, why you want to do it and how you are going to do it. The proposal should have sufficient information to convince your readers that you have an important research idea, that you have a good grasp of the relevant literature and the major issues, and that your methodology is sound. ”
Statement of your hypothesis
Review of related literature
Analysis of the problems or significant issues involved
Summary of your findings and your conclusions and recommendations
Common Mistakes in Proposal Writing
- 1. Failure to provide the proper context to frame the research question.
- 2. Failure to delimit the boundary conditions for your research.
- 3. Failure to cite landmark studies.
- 4. Failure to accurately present the theoretical and empirical contributions by other researchers.
- 5. Failure to stay focused on the research question.
- 6. Failure to develop a coherent and persuasive argument for the proposed research.
- 7. Too much detail on minor issues, but not enough detail on major issues.
- 8. Too much rambling -- going "all over the map" without a clear sense of direction. (The best proposals move forward with ease and grace like a seamless river.)
- 9. Too many citation lapses and incorrect references.
- 10. Too long or too short.